RE: Inventing a new job title

Subject: RE: Inventing a new job title
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:53:47 -0700

Hannah wrote:
> You might not want to include "base" -- just leave it at "Knowledge
> Engineer". You don't want anyone thinking you are base in any way.
> Essential, necessary, but never base.

That's funny... I held the title "Knowledge Engineer" for a couple of
years...

But it wasn't exactly the same as a technical writer. In fact, several tech
writers we hired as knowledge engineers did quite poorly.

We were creating belief networks using a Bayesian modeling tool, and writing
text to go in each node. There was more math and editing than writing.

Knowledge engineering, believe it or not, is its own profession. I've heard
it used in two slightly different contexts:

1) Someone who designs expert system models of various types
2) A data mining expert who organizes information in a knowledge base

So while you can call yourself anything you want, just be aware that
knowledge engineering in some circles means a bit more math than you're
probably used to...

Check out my web site for more on knowledge engineering/expert systems!

Cheers,
John Locke
http://www.freelock.com