Re: Getting input into the style guide

Subject: Re: Getting input into the style guide
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 16:51:27 -0700

Mark Levinson wrote:

> Bruce says don't generate a paper trail. I feel the opposite way.
> Maybe different experiences have been branded on our psyches.

I was referring only to the initial discussion. If the Powers That Be
show an interest in input, then by all means the suggestions should be
put in writing.

However, at the preliminary stage, I would avoid having anything in
writing in case the suggestions aren't well-received. Otherwise, come
salary review time, or layoff time, the suggestions could be unearthed
to prove that Jane had been a contrary voice ("not a team player) from
the start of her employment.

It all depends on the company. In some places, the suggestions would be
received as a sign of a highly motivated person who was eager to
contribute. In others, they would be the sign of a trouble-maker. Until
you know otherwise, I think it would be wise to assume that the
suggestions wouldn't be well-received.

"Well, the work was hard and the hours were long,
And the treatment surely took some bearing,
And I used to sleep standing on my feet,
And I'd dream about the shoals of herring."
-Ewan McColl, "The Shoals of Herring"