Re: The new (or relatively new) "ML" (DHTML, XML, SGML)

Subject: Re: The new (or relatively new) "ML" (DHTML, XML, SGML)
From: "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 18:43:30 -0700

At 9:17 AM -0700 5/25/2001, Peter Shea (USF) wrote:
>I am trying to keep up with the advance in mark-up languages. One point I
>need clarification on: how does SGML and DHML differ?

SGML is a "meta-language", a language for designing markup languages such
as HTML. XML is a subset of SGML designed to be easier to use.

DHTML is not a language per se - it's more of a catch-all term for pages
that combine HTML (for content markup) and Javascript (for interaction),
along with - possibly - CSS (for styling of content). The idea is that the
Javascripts are triggered by user actions, make changes to the page's HTML
and CSS, thus changing content or appearance or both. (A simple example is
Javascript rollovers.)

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com
http://www.jaedworks.com