RE: Tech writing class (Intellectual Foundations) LONG

Subject: RE: Tech writing class (Intellectual Foundations) LONG
From: Karla Saari Kitalong <kitalong -at- pegasus -dot- cc -dot- ucf -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 10:01:01 -0400

At 09:52 AM 5/25/2001 -0600, walden miller wrote:

I heard of a great intro course given at Michigan Tech (all you MT whirlers
chime in here...). The course brought in working tech writers every other
week to talk to the class about what they do, how they do it, the tools they
use, the problems they face, etc. The assignments were to write reports on
each writer. At the end of the course, the students had a set of case
studies of actual writers. It was a one-hour course, from what I
understand. This is a nice approach.

This would have been a great idea, Walden, but there aren't that many working
tech writers in Houghton, Michigan. They did have guest speakers in that class,
but I think they were mainly faculty. It was an "introduction to the major" course
that included both liberal arts and tech writing students. But I like the possibilities
built into your version of the course, and it could work well here in Orlando, a place
that's crawling with tech writers. The notion of writing a "report" on the person is
interesting. Dale Sullivan (MIchigan Tech) and Jerry Savage (Illinois State U) recently
compiled a book of the life stories of tech writers, published by Allyn and Bacon,
which might be good in an intro tech writing class. I apologize if someone's already
mentioned this--I haven't read the thread carefully yet. Also, Janet Wicklen has a
new book out, something like _A Tech Writer's Survival Guide_, that might work
in an intro course to give students a sense of the profession. I have the full citation
at work--if you want it let me know and I'll send it to you next week.

kk (Michigan Tech alum)