Inventing a new job title

Subject: Inventing a new job title
From: "Walters, Christian (CCI-Atlanta)" <Christian -dot- Walters -at- cox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 12:24:46 -0400

Hi all. [insert usual apologies if this topic was done recently]

Here at my company, we're under some pressure to create job titles other
than "technical writer." The thinking behind it is that "technical
writer" puts a glass ceiling above your head. I have a co-worker who's
been in the same position for years, but everyone else who started at
the same time are now managers and directors and what-not.

So our boss is trying to change the org chart so that we have titles
that make it seem (to the HR department and upper management) that we
aren't just typists and can branch out into other fields.

(Personally, I'm a little annoyed by the whole thing. My skills won't
change with a new stack of business cards, and it annoys me that we're
still being pigeonholed like we are. I don't know if this scheme will
work, but my direct boss and her boss seem to think so.)

Anyway, the only name that I have come up with is "information
developer." But if you folks have other titles, I'd love to hear them.
(No need to bug the whole list with this -- please feel free to just
email me at christian -dot- walters -at- cox -dot- com, and I'll compile and post a list
next week.)

Thanks all!

=====
Christian Walters
christian -dot- walters -at- cox -dot- com