Re: Need Help With Word Numbering

Subject: Re: Need Help With Word Numbering
From: Joy Brady-Beer <joy_m_brady -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 06:24:30 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ardene Whittlesey <twriter40 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> $%#&@!
>
> Now that that's out of the way, can anyone help me
> with a numbering problem in Word?
>
> I'm trying to create a template for users in the
> group
> I'm working with. The List Num style works fine,
> except I want different margins. So I've done the
> Format > Style > Paragaraph thing to set the margins
> and hanging indent where we want them.

Hi Ardene,

I believe that SEQ is supreme, but in case you'd like
to know what's happening with the doc you've already
got numbered, here's a hint. I see that you have a
group of users who need to use your template - so like
me, you might feel that teaching them to use SEQ
fields might be more of a challenge than just seeing
if you can get your current template to work better
for them.

Are you using "Outline Numbering?" If you click on
the customize button, you'll see that each "Level" of
a given outline has its own indent setting. That
"fights with" what is set in the style you chose and
modified. Just say your Heading 1 is set to be
indented 1.5, but Level 1 is supposed to be indented
.5. Does Word pick one over the other and stick with
it?

NO - it comes up with an insane interpolation that
confuses you. If you must use outline numbering, just
cry "Uncle" and stick with the outline numbering
template's (Bullets and Numbering dialog box -->
Outline Numbering Tab --> one of the eight styles of
outline numbering you can pick right there), which you
can modify to your liking if you click "customize."

Then - and this is important - remove any mention from
your style (Heading 1, Heading 2, whatever) of left
indentation. Let the Outline Level that that style is
associated RULE with regard to indentation.

Here's a paper that helped me understand the nutty
Word numbering. He does argue for using SEQ if you
can, though, but I understand about designing a
template for very basic users of Word:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/WordsNumberingExplained.htm

=====
Joy Beer