RE Bulk Email with Access..?

Subject: RE Bulk Email with Access..?
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 09:41:06 -0600

> Subject: Bulk Email with Access..?
> From: "Diana Barnum" <dbarnum -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com>
> Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 09:34:20 -0400

[snip]

> Can you send bulk emails, though, or am I missing that section in
the book?
> (I'm not a cover to cover reader - only do "chunk reading"). I
heard that
> ACT software, I believe, has this capability. Does Access or any of
the
> other Office 2000 family?

Yes.

The way to do what you have in mind is to use your Access 2000
database as a data source in a Word 2000 mail merge.

Here's what you do.

When you set up your "form letter," tell Word to use your Access
database as your data source.

Then create the "form letter" in Word. This will have all the
information you want to send to your clients.

Finally, do the mail merge, and use e-mail as your output.

You can find the exact steps in a reasonably good Word reference, like
Que's "Special Edition Using Word 2000."

In your case, Word will export over 100 e-mails to your e-mail
software, one for each client. (I'm assuming your e-mail software is
something that Office likes, like Outlook or Outlook Express.)

BTW, I did a similar e-mail mail merge earlier this year when I was
looking for help with a Toastmasters Speechcraft program using an
Excel spreadsheet as my data source and Outlook Express as my e-mail
client. The personalized touch created a much better response.

> I need to send 1 e-mail to over 100 clients frequently, but want
recipients'
> addresses to remain confidential. Any tips? Put addresses in Blind
Copy or

--

John Fleming
Technical Writer