Re: Tech writing class

Subject: Re: Tech writing class
From: "Laura A Mac Lemale" <lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 14:01:39 -0400

Hi APEERY:

No, I don't believe that you misinterpreted Chris's original post. I think that
my post was not entirely clear, since it was written in haste right before an
early morning meeting, before the full cup of coffee was consumed. Apologies for
any resulting misunderstanding.

I was basically agreeing with Chris's post, and particularly with the snipped
portion about uncooperative SMEs. My original intention was to acknowledge that
as a meaningful issue for TW students, one which could be addressed in the
classroom. I was also attempting to emphasize the importance of initiative and
critical thinking. (Chris--apologies to you if I misinterpreted; I no longer
have your original message.)

Yes, the TW may have to deal occasionally with an uncooperative or unavailable
SME, but the TW should be able to take initiative into finding a solution,
either by 1) framing specific, detailed questions to make the most of the SME's
time or by 2) investigating alternative means of obtaining the needed
information (i.e., beta testing, spec researching, etc.).

There will be times when you have to rely heavily on the SME, but research
skills are always applicable to the TW job in general. If students do not
develop those skills, they will have a harder time in the work place,
particularly in a field such as TW, where you have to "do your homework" on the
systems/processes/procedures that you document. Therefore, some type of research
project, even in an introductory TW class, would be appropriate.

Hope this clarifies!

Regards,
Laura

APEERY -at- FAMILYDOLLAR -dot- COM wrote:

> Note 1: This is a response to Chris's original post. I've lost that
> original, so I'm responding through Laura A. MacLemale's response. Mea
> culpa.
>
> Note 2: I take Chris's remarks to be about uncooperative SMEs, rather than
> about how to frame questions as efficiently as possible. If I got this
> wrong, sorry Chris!...<snip>...Am I way off here? The above method works
> swimmingly for me, but maybe I'm not understanding something.

Laura MacLemale
Technical Writer, EDV
Paychex HRS Operations
(716) 336-6515
lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this message represent those of the sender
and not of Paychex, Inc.