Re: Uncompiled MS HTML Help

Subject: Re: Uncompiled MS HTML Help
From: "Kelly Williamson" <kwcwtech -at- iwaynet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 15:37:29 -0400

You are correct David. And if you have to create cross-platform help these
days, you are most certainly better off using WebHelp or the like (I
currently use WebHelp for my cross-platform, cross-browser projects, which
was not available to my knowledge back in around '95).

Let me just re-iterate one point that you touched on: If you are developing
for an intranet or somesuch where you know all your users are on Windows and
are using Internet Explorer, uncompiled HTML Help (using the ActiveX
control--hhctrl.ocx I believe) can be a very good way to go if you have the
time and talent available and if file size is a primary concern. Let me also
point out that this would definitely be best used if you're putting manuals
online, as opposed to developing help for an application.

(I guess I kind of also want to emphasize that you don't have to buy an
expensive package, like RoboHelp, etc., to produce uncompiled MS HTML Help,
although there would be a very high learning curve.)

/Kelly Williamson
Columbus, OH

********