AW: Combining two help files to a single one

Subject: AW: Combining two help files to a single one
From: "Reng, Winfried" <winfried -dot- reng -at- msi-muenchen -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 09:58:45 +0200

Hi,

> David Knopf's suggestion about using Mif2Go is certainly a good one.
> However, what is the goal? Do you need to maintain the
> integrity of the
> individual help files?

Many thanks for the helpful hints. I´ll test everything
next week as I don´t have the time now. Deadlines.

Here is some more info about the project.
The goal: The documentation for our product is split
into several parts: User guide, Installation manual
Basics (all infos that aren´t specific for certain
PBX types, our software is connected to), Installation
manual PBX (specific for certain PBX type). Up to now
everything was available printed and as PDF and the
user guide as Winhelp as well.
We distribute our products mainly through resellers.
And the most important ones request everything online
now without any printed documentation. (That´s not my
decision!)
The contents of the installation manual should be
available in the online help so that the technician
who installs our products has all infos at hand.
Everything will be context sensitive but also when
he checks the contents tab. However I don´t want to
break the concept of "user guide" and "installation
manual" as the general user and the technicians
shouldn´t be bothered with the tasks of the others.
Therefore still two "books" in a single online help.

> For example, if you have two (or more) programs in a suite
> that each have
> their own help files, you wouldn't want to just combine them.

It´s a single program.

Cheers,

Winfried