Re: Tech Writers as the Titans of Knowledge

Subject: Re: Tech Writers as the Titans of Knowledge
From: NarrWriter -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 08:28:26 EDT

In the mind of management, if you're a technical writer you should (I'm
suspicious of that word) be able to answer any question. There is an inherent
"so you want to be a millionaire" quality about this - without the million.

But technical questions can become a problem depending on how well the person
you're attempting to assist is able to comprehend what you're talking about.
I have, over the years amassed much written material on a variety of subjects
and have found that giving a short pithy answer in conversation followed by
sending a more detailed written piece on the particular subject has the most
beneficial effect.

Giving a simple one liner and following that up with 'I'll send you something
that explains it more completely,' releases you and your interrogator from
the pitfalls of the answer from hell. The case of trying to explain 56K or
any computer esoterica serves the point. There can come a time in
conversation when the person on the receiving end of the data feels lost.
Giving a one pager allow this person to digest the material at their own pace
and in a time frame that works for them.

It is also a calling card and I've found that these little what's it all
about assists have led to other things. Have I ever seen my stuff used by
someone else for something else, of course. But that's not the point. In the
long run the reputation one builds is far more important than whatever
plagiaristic tendencies one might uncover. It also protects what is the most
fragile thing in many a business setting - the egos of those who should know
the answer in the first place.