RE: XML as a document language

Subject: RE: XML as a document language
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 11:43:50 -0400

It seems natural to me that, as a subset of SGML, XML will become a
documentation standard. Currently, though, XML-based publishing, rendering
from databases, and the like, seems to start at $10,000 for the necessary
tools, plus implementation and training. Costs seem to rise exponentially
from there.

You can use FrameMaker+SGML to create valid XML output, but I don't know how
useful that really is. Also, consider that PostScript is one of, if not the
most important language of publications; XML does not even pretend to
replace PostScript.

As far as I can tell, XML is extremely useful for programming and web sites,
but it is not yet at a price point that is acceptable for small- to
medium-sized companies. I expect XML to start sliding into documentation
workflows as part of online help or single-sourcing efforts, and I have
tested it lightly in a non-production environment in these regards. However,
for now, I think most of us have to be content to watch larger companies
implement really nifty and expensive implementations of XML solutions, and
hope that their efforts lead to new tools and lower prices.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Brierley
Lead Technical Writer