RE: How Do I Open a Microsoft HTML Help File from a web application?

Subject: RE: How Do I Open a Microsoft HTML Help File from a web application?
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 07:13:41 -0700

Daruwala Rohina-ind295 wrote:

| I have created a HTML help file and I am trying to call the help
| from the Web application. When I click on the Help link I get a
| dialog box asking me if I would like to open the file from
| current location or save it to disk. This is the line that calls
| the help file.

| How can I just click on the Help link and open the Help file in a
| new web page without getting the open file from current location
| or save it to disk dialog box? Can anyone help?
|
| Is there a help viewer problem? Should I give the help viewer
| along with the application? When I double click the
| application.chm file on my desktop it opens automatically.

Compiled Microsoft HTML Help (.chm format) is not designed to be published
on a Web server. It is designed to be installed locally on each user's PC.
For that reason, compiled Microsoft HTML Help is not an appropriate Help
format for a web-based application. For web-based applications, you should
use uncompiled HTML (though not uncompiled HTML Help, as there are many
problems with that). You can use straight HTML or one of the formats
developed by the HAT vendors, such as WebHelp or InterHelp. You can find out
more about all these Help formats by visiting the resources section of our
Web site at http://www.knopf.com/resources.html.

HTH,

David Knopf (mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com)
Knopf Online (http://www.knopf.com)
Tel: 415.550.8367

RoboHelp MVP & Certified RoboHelp Instructor
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
Member, Sun's JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Member, eHelp's RoboHelp Community Advisory Board
Co-moderator, HATT & wwp-users