Re: Getting Reports On Time

Subject: Re: Getting Reports On Time
From: Kathy Jacobs <jacobskl -at- jacobs -dot- coxatwork -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:08:24 -0700

What about the old standard of "If I don't have your content, I can't pass it along." Make sure they know that organizations who do not deliver will not be included, then put in a blank page saying "No report received". When the director sees this, it will become obvious whether this is a make-work task (i.e., no one submits because no one reads it) or something the director really needs (in which case they should be held accountable to the director for not submitting).

I know this is a harsh line to take. I have had to do it many times. For some managers, they are so busy that this is the only way to get the information from them. Give the submitters a warning one round ahead of time. Tell them that starting with the next issue the above policy will go into effect.

--
Kathryn Jacobs, BrainBench MVP MS PowerPoint (Get Certified at http://www.brainbench.com)
Get PowerPoint answers at www.powerpointanswers.com
Personal Home Page: http://home.talkcity.com/ScholarSt/rainbow62/index.html
Trainer, writer, Girl Scout, parent, and whatever else there is time for
Life is meant to be lived. But:
if we live without making a difference, it makes no difference that we lived

McDonald, Nancy A. wrote:

Hi, All.

I've been searching the archives, but I must not be using the right keyword.
I've got a problem. I've been assigned to be "editor" for the Director's
organizations' bi-weekly reports, to gather, edit, and deliver to VP. There
are about 50 pages of these reports, and from projects all over the
country.... in the heirarchical chain, the "progress reporters" do not
report to me or my manager, but I must deliver the compiled information to
the Director. The biggest problem (as you might well know) is that the
reports are not being delivered on time. Of course, one solution is to
move the deadline to a day or so earlier, but since I have no consequences
to add, no threats that I can think of.... how can I best get those reports
delivered to me on time so that I can avoid chasing?
TIA,
Nancy McDonald
Sr. Project Manager
UUNET a WorldCom Company