RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:41:51 -0400

*LOL*

I have to agree with Sean here. If you don't have a beta/working prototype
to work from, how do you get the docs out on time? Or does your company sit
on the release for a few months and let Doc play catch-up?

I don't think I've EVER documented a finished product. Everything I've
worked on has been in development, as when it's not in development, it's in
use by end users who need the doc to use the product... My ideal situation
is to hop on board a project at its conception and work with engineering,
QA, support, training, product management, etc. to help develop a solid
product from the get-go. I haven't hit that ideal yet, but have come close
several times.

I am VERY interested to hear how people document a product on-time AFTER
it's been fully developed. Or from no product at all... it pains and humors
me at the same time to know there are tech writers out there who document a
product without ever using it! HOW?!?! My fragile little mind wants to know!
;)

BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N