Re: Marketing Yourself as a Consultant

Subject: Re: Marketing Yourself as a Consultant
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 19:41:04 -0700 (PDT)

Tony Rocco wrote..
> Does anyone have any tips about how they market and present themselves
> as a technical writing consultant? How do you present your portfolio, do

> you use collateral materials, do you have any special techniques for
> self-promotion? Thanks.

In addition to many of the great things Bill said, one thought I would
add:

If you are not already doing so, you may consider focusing on marketing
your skill with certain kinds of documentation vs. tools. Companies tend
to hire consultants because they possess a special skill they lack
internally. There are PLENTY of writers out there that know Frame, Word,
and HTML. Skill in these tools does not differentiate you from the pack.

For example, at Anitian we sell our expertise with extremely technical
documentation. This differentiates us from most documentation consultants
and as such gets us lots of business.

Telling people you can bend space-time with your breath never hurts
either. Works for me all the time. :~)

Andrew Plato

http://auctions.yahoo.com/