RE: Lurking and flaming

Subject: RE: Lurking and flaming
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 13:09:57 -0500

The right to anonymity is one of the cornerstones of free speech, and the
U.S. Supreme Court has overtly stated as much in MacIntyre V. Ohio Elections
Commission, April 1995, and Talley V. California, March 1960. (I just wrote
a term paper subtitled "How the Erosion of Anonymity Threatens to Stifle
Free Speech on the Internet.")

There are many possible reasons why LW chooses to remain anonymous. For
example, he (excuse me, LW, if you are a "she") may not want to censor what
he says, but doesn't want it to get back to his employer or to possibly
reflect negatively upon that employer.

As far as identity goes, how do any of us know if anybody else is using
his/her real name here anyway? Posters here should be judged upon the body
of their contributions, not their e-mail addresses.