RE: Make it Pretty - again!

Subject: RE: Make it Pretty - again!
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:08:31 +0100

>:: I've just been looking for Tech Writing jobs in the UK and
>:: found this:
>:: "Applications will be judged on your CV, so make them pretty!"
>I can't recall the name right now, but there's a paper company that makes
>paper out of pressed flowers and papyrus. Very unique (and fragrant). You
>can hand-write your CV on that (calligraphy or elegant script) and hand it
>in. Of course make mention that a more functional version can be requested.

I realise that Bill is ;)ing... but a short scenario:

You advertise for someone to do a job. In short order, 300 CVs arrive. You
contemplate reading them all, thoroughly, and realise that this will take
3.5 days, you'll have forgotten what the first hundred said before you
finish the second hundred, and you decide to weed out as many as possible
before you even start.

You throw out:
1. All CVs printed on anything but plain white paper.

2. All CVs with anything on them but plain readable type: cartoons of
flowers, photos, amusing mottos, handwritten versions, fancy covers,
anything in colour.

3. All CVs that take up more than 2 sides of A4. (This one is arguable. But
a CV where you can't tell at one glance at the first side who the candidate
is, what they do, and what jobs they've had recently, goes straight to the
recycle bin. Certainly no CV should be longer than 4 sides of A4.)

4. All CVs with an interesting or unusual layout that looks like you're
going to have to think about what the candidate meant to convey for more
than, ooh, 15 seconds. Did I say 15? Make it 5.

Not kidding. Everyone I know who's ever been on the other side of the
interviewing table has admitted, privately, that this is how they weed out
the first "Don't even bother" batch of CVs from the stack.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.