RE: Elance, anyone?

Subject: RE: Elance, anyone?
From: "MMdeaton" <mmdeaton -at- mmdeaton -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:28:08 -0700

Funny you should ask. I am working on an article for TechWhirl about this
very thing. I would also appreciate anyone's insights or comments.

I found elance to be useless for me. People who seem to do very well on it
often give very quick turnaround and change low rates, which suggests to me
that the people seeking work may not be as concerned about quality as they
are about price. I also have several proposals that sat for months without
any responses, even though the bidding had been closed. I was not rejected,
they just never selected a winning bid.

Elance also has adopted a policy that allows anyone who pays $100 to receive
preferential treatment, such as their bids show up first on the lists, and
to be able to restrict bids on projects to only these premium people. There
is no requirement the people be more capable, mind you. Again, I think that
suggests that professionalism and quality are not the most important
concerns.

Freeagent.com, eWork.com, and Freelance Exchange are also out there.

Mary Deaton
Deaton Information Design
News and opinion at: http://www.mmdeaton.com