RE: format-monkeys

Subject: RE: format-monkeys
From: Barb Einarsen <barb -dot- einarsen -at- gnnettest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 12:08:47 -0400

Well, I've learned my lesson, I guess its a 'pet peeve' rather than 'always
wrong'.

The situation I'm refering to is a software company that has about 3
releases a year, where changes are not buried, the writer could run software
builds, view bug reports and read functional specification. So, in this
situation, it is a choice of using a 'passive' or 'active' approach.

By passive, I mean, the writer's attitude was, "before I invest my time and
do any research on my own, could you just tell me everything". This was not
appreciated by the developers who did not like writing new information,
invariably forgot some changes or did the minimum because 'it wasn't their
responsibility'. This person did not use it as a starting point, it was the
mode of operation. If the developer did not mark the change, it did not get
documented.

My pet peeve is similar to what many of you mention when a writer comes on
the list and says 'can you send me a sample of your work'.

Barb