Re: Interviewing Subject Matter Experts

Subject: Re: Interviewing Subject Matter Experts
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 14:53:09 -0700 (PDT)

> > rare. I had always thought using and learning (quickly) about the
> item you were documenting was the best, nay, only way to
effectively
> communicate the
> > subject in a way that is understandable to any target audience.

When I'm writing user documentation about something very complex,
especialy if I'm in a rush, I'll take the material from the SME and
put it in the documentation (with language tweaking). However, I'll
do so only after actualy trying the instructions to verify that the
results I'm supposed to get are the ones that I DO get. If I do,
great...if not, I'll find out why, fix the described process, and
then let the SME know the difference. Sometimes, the remark I'll get
back is "S**t...I thought they fixed that..."

Let's them know that what they thought was the way it worked wasn't
reality. They usualy appreciate that.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"How to be happy in life: Never impose your beliefs
on anyone else and never fry bacon in the nude."
-- Anon

http://auctions.yahoo.com/