RE: Education Question

Subject: RE: Education Question
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 16:06:12 -0500

> Sara Pauley wrote:
> >
> > I'm an incoming graduate student in a Technical
> > Writing program. In thinking about costs and other
> > details I became aware of an associate's degree
> > program in Technical Communication. While both
> > programs take the same amount of time; the associate
> > program costs significantly less. There is a chance,
> > however, that I will qualify for a graduate
> > assistantship after my first semester.
> >
> > When all is said and done, will I be better off to
> > spend/borrow more money and have a master's degree or
> > to spend less money and have (in addition to my BA) an
> > associate's degree? I apologize for the length and
> > would appreciate your insight.

If you want a master's degree, consider why you want one and if obtaining a
master's degree is the best way to reach that goal. If you still want one,
go for it.

As far as the Technical Communication associate degree, I can't imagine why
you'd consider that option. Technical Writing and Technical Communication
are essentially the same thing, even if the programs have slightly different
requirements. If the TC program offers some specific courses that you want,
then take just those courses. Otherwise, your time is far better spent
gaining experience in the workforce. I can't imagine any hiring manager
seeing an advantage in someone earning an associate degree after they
already have a bachelor's.

David Berg