document presentation

Subject: document presentation
From: "Bissell, Johanna" <Johanna -dot- Bissell -at- ASAMRA -dot- HOFFMAN -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:59:00 -0400

I am fairly new to tech writing (and this list) and have my first release of
documentation coming up. It's a government contract and I wanted to know if
anyone can tell me what type of presentation I should give my docs. They are
training scenarios and use cases that document an online application. I've
been told to "use my own judgment" on how to bind them etc., but know that
whatever I do will set a precedent for the entire project.

My question: Is use of color considered.....a negative? I use it sparingly
and only to emphasize certain aspects of the document. It helps me keep
things straight as I'm writing and the color is easier to remove at a later
time than add. I think it can give a document a nice look and can be helpful
but I also don't want to drive up costs if it's only going to be perceived
negatively. I've tried asking people for preferences and what the standard
has been but they all give non-answers and defer to my "better judgment".
ack!

Any help is appreciated.

Hannah Bissell
SI-ECC - Technical Writer

"...because life is too short to waste it whining."