RE: Survey: how do you use PDFs

Subject: RE: Survey: how do you use PDFs
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 13:29:16 +0100

> They [PDFs} usually exist because the developing organization
>finds shipping PDFs cheaper than shipping the printed counterpart. They
>shove the printing cost onto their audiences. In fact, now that I think
>about it, everything about a PDF document seems to be for the convenience
of
>the developer/developing organization not the convenience of the user.

True. But OTOH, if the PDFs are available for free on the website of the
developing organisation, then that's additional information on their
products or on their area of expertise that I can get before I buy from
them. It would be better to have a properly bound-and-printed manual for
reference - but I'd rather have PDFs than no information at all. (If the
PDFs are only available on the CD you get when you buy the product, then I
strongly agree that's pure cost-cutting with no added value to the
audience.)

>But of course, that's just MY humble opinion.

Don't be modest, Tom, it doesn't suit you. <g>

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.