Re: So you call yourself an architect?

Subject: Re: So you call yourself an architect?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 12:27:06 -0700

Berk/Devlin wrote:

> What Safire fails to understand is that the process of designing a complex
> piece of software or a computer-based system is very, very similar to the
> process for designing a building.
>
> But then he fails to understand many, many things, many of which are OT.

Safire is a professional curmudgeon, and I suspect his failure to
understand is partly deliberate.

Language purists can be instructive, and sometimes can serve as a
necessary corrective. In many cases, "architect" is being over-used as
linguistic inflation, and it's useful to have the fact pointed out. For
example, now that this inflation has been pointed out to me, I'll try to
avoid it.

However, I wouldn't take this stance altogether seriously, either. It's
hard to sympathize with people who choose to fight a rearguard action
against overwhelming odds and then complain that everyone's against
them.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"Maybe there were two sides to that affair of Cain,
And Judas was a tolerable chap."
-G. K. Chesterton