Documentation Process

Subject: Documentation Process
From: "Damien Braniff" <dbraniff -at- amphion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 13:24:49 +0100

I've been a TWer now for a long time and have read quite a bit over the years about the 'process' of writing - what we actually do. A lot of it makes sense but I wonder how many of us actually follow 'the process' ( I know there are many variations!) formally, how much is almost subconscious or how many don't follow any process at all. At the highest level I see what I do as:

Assess requirements - audience analysis, task analysis, timescales etc
Prepare synopsis - outline of publication, structure, content etc
Prepare publication - write the doc

In a bit more detail (based on Hackos):
prepare user profile and high level task analysis
look at product development plan/marketing plan
information plan - users/tasks/product/usability
expand user/task analysis
'learn' product - the content
define structure, generate outline etc
design format - style template/guide
prototype, first draft, revise/edit etc
camera ready copy
archive
evaluate

A lot of this I do (and I think/hope other writers as well) without a lot of conscious thought but I'm interested in hearing what others think. I'd really like to know how many people actually get the opportunity to follow this (or similar) process and how much is it down to getting it out the door on time? In all my time writing I've never worked anywhere that did 'formal' audience/task analysis or formal usability studies... basically 'formal' anything! As often as not it was left up to the writer to do these tasks (always informally as no official time was scheduled). Is this common? Different US/UK approach? In a lot of cases it seems that lip service is paid but the hard reality is economic - docs have to be ready by the release date.

Damien Braniff
Technical Writer
Amphion Semiconductor Ltd.
50/51 Malone Road