Re: So you call yourself an architect?

Subject: Re: So you call yourself an architect?
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 16:50:30 -0500

This reminds me of a story a professor of mine used to tell... a French king apparently wrote a letter to someone complaining that the people weren't speaking Latin correctly, that their grammar was atrocious and they were even making up new words. "Well," my professor would say (yes, I heard him tell it more than once), "the people weren't speaking Latin, they had created French." The point is that language changes and no one, not the person who invented a term or even the king of France, can ultimately control how it will be used.

(Yeah, I know the story probably isn't true, but I like to dredge up whatever I can from those classes since I'm still paying for them.)

Tracy
whose business cards do not say "information architect"

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okcareertech.org/cimc

>>> Richard Goldberger <RGOLDBER -at- mobius -dot- com> 05/07/01 04:38PM >>>
"The magazine Architectural Record recently interviewed Richard Saul Wurman,
who said "I invented the term 'information architect' in 1975, when I was
national chairman of the American Institute of Architects convention ... it
was called 'The Architecture of Information'. Now I would say that somewhere
between 20,000 and 100,000 people in the US have 'information architect' on
their business cards."

Anybody on this list feeling a little contrite?