RE: Cheap books

Subject: RE: Cheap books
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 12:41:10 -0500

Bestbookbuys, from the look of it, only carries new/inprint booksellers.
Powell's is an exception, and some searches at Amazon and B&N wll show used
titles as well. But the rest seem to be new/remainder dealers.

Bookfinder.com is probably the best used-book search site, as it searches
not only the same places that Bestbookbuys searches, but it also searches
several of the used bookseller databases that bestbookbuys doesn't seem to
have heard of. Anirvan Chatterjee (Owner/operator of bookfinder) is also
very receptive to user feedback on his site, the latest redesign came in
large part from user suggestions. (Yes, I have perhaps more information
about this site than the average techwhirler, but trust me, it's not the
result of any sort of financial arrangement, or indeed any other sort of
arrangement other than satisfied user. I'm on another listserv that he is
also a member of.)

If that's not enough for you, there's also www.addall.com, which has a
slightly different interface, but searches almost the same stores.

Then, of course, there's www.bookavenue.com for another aggregation of used
book dealers. And, just to prove I'm not being US-bigoted in this, there's
www.ibooknet.co.uk for those in the UK (though I have to say I'm not fond
of the site design on this one, people).

And for more information that you could *possibly* want about finding books
over the Internet, might I recommend www.ioba.org, the home site of the
Independent Online Booksellers Association? They're Good Folks over there;
write it out and I'll sign my name to it. (Yes, there's a back story to
this, but it's not on topic for the list. If you really have to know about
it, email me off-list.)

Once again, I derive absolutely no finanancial or other benefit from the
recommendations in this email. I'm writing it because it's true, far as I
can determine, and after spending too much time this morning dealing with
non-fact others have obtained from the 'net ("I read it on the web, so it
must be true") I felt compelled to contribute some Truth to the day.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224