Re: Big Time Help

Subject: Re: Big Time Help
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 11:41:37 -0500

Turns out that a component-based document is not what they want. They want a task-based document. I'm asking them what tasks do they perform related to backup methodology. I have yet to get a straight answer.

QUESTION

What I need to know is if any of you have worked on documentation for company networks, particularly backup methodologies. I have been giving myself a crash course on networking, and I'm having trouble understanding how a networking technician would use a document such as this.

Also if anyone can point me to documentation online that could give me an idea so I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, that would be great.

I've held three technical/web writing jobs before this, and none of them have been this intense, vague or critical. Is this a normal situation?

Joe,

As to your doc question.

I am not sure that you will find any proprietary documentation online. Others may be able to point you in the right direction.

I am assuming that you are documenting an Enterpise level process, not necessarily the software or hardware.

With that in mind, think process, who does what to whom. Follow the steps needed to make the backup, from what triggers the backup to each actor (be it script or technician) the action taken, what the end product is. In some cases this would be either a compiled list for use by the software or script, to files in the backup directory, to tapes created.

Does this match anything you are involved with? If so I may be able to help a little more. Contact me offline.

As to your second question, you are dealing with some fairly typical, though not necessarily common personality traits. In most companies these types of behavoirs are rooted out, since they cause the enterprise to fail.

Scott