Re: New tech writer employment tips?

Subject: Re: New tech writer employment tips?
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 08:40:00 -0700

jmoser -at- lexmark -dot- com wrote:

> Glenn wrote:

'Glen,' actually ....

> The problem I forsee: most of the programmer/writer positions seem
> require 3 years experience before they'll even look at you (at least,
> that's how it seems up here in the Pacific North Wet) ... so if I
> finish this program, will I be employable? :o\
>
> I think many companies post jobs with experience stipulations just
to scare
> away most entry-level job seekers.

(*snip*)

Actually, I did run into one position that required that you have some
time in the field of tech writing, and "be able to read" code (C++, in
this case). No specifications for how long you have to have been able
to read the code, in this case.

> I believe your attitude determines much about how potential
employers view
> you.

Possibly, possibly ....

> Thanks for posting the information about your school. I've wanted to
learn
> some other languages. I like that these classes approach the
> languages from a writer's perspective.

When I took the "C++ For Technical Writers" class a year or so ago, it
was taught by a husband and wife team: she, the tech writer, and he,
the programmer. Alas, a deadline loomed, and she had to disappear for
the last half of the class ... so we got taught by a programmer!
Tough one.

The "Overview of Computer Programming" class discussed various
numbering systems, etc., and thoroughly confused most of the class. I
was able to explain the basics of binary counting to a pair of young
ladies behind me by wiggling the fingers of one hand and explaining
that 8-4-2-1 thing.

They got it.

I hear the class is still leaving people in the dark ... I'll have to
ask one of the students to get me a copy of the syllabus ... and see
if I can fix that.

Should be fun ....

--gdw

> Jeff

"The future will be better tomorrow."
--Dan Quayle (How's that for a blast from the past?)