RE: tool nonsense (gearing up to be a tech writer)

Subject: RE: tool nonsense (gearing up to be a tech writer)
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 10:32:31 -0500

A former boss of mine used to always say, "It is what it is." In other
words, instead of griping about how bad you think the situation is, just get
to work on finding a solution.

As far as trying to get the employers to change their requirements, I say
that as long as they are writing the checks, it's their prerogative to
decide what they want. If their policies are not in their best business
interests, then market factors will eventually catch up to them.

If the people who are always whining about job adds asking for skill they do
not have would put the same effort into actually learning those skills (and
I'm talking mainly about the industry basics here like Frame and RoboHelp)
they would greatly increase their marketability.

BTW, there is a Dummies book for Frame and a "Teach Yourself in 24 Hours"
book for RoboHelp that each come with trial software to practice on so
expense is not really a factor. If you are not willing to spend about
$50-60 on your career, you're probably not serious enough about it in the
first place.

I once blew a job interview because I couldn't tell the interviewer what
"inheritance" means in C++. I had been studying the language for a short
time by then, and would not get to that part until a few days later. I
cursed my bad timing but continued with my studies. The next time somebody
asked, I knew the answer. BTW, that first company recently laid off 30% of
its staff so I don't feel like I missed out on anything.