Re: Is IT growth slowing?

Subject: Re: Is IT growth slowing?
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 13:41:35 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Byfield" <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
Cc: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: May 3, 2001 9:01 AM

> I long ago came to the conclusion that software upgrades were the
> software industry's version of planned obsolescence.
>
> Last fall, I upgraded my business computer (I work largely from
home).
> The hard drive had 1000X the capacity of the one on my first
computer,
> the RAM was 250X greater than on my first computer, and so on on
down
> the line. Yet, apart from the fact that I am now working with
graphical
> interfaces instead of text-based ones, I am doing essentially the
same
> tasks and I am only slightly more productive - if that - while
doing
> routine work.

God, isn't that the truth. I remember thinking, when I purchased the
beast that sits on my desk right now, that I could suck *everything*
on the hard drive of my original computer up into memory--and still
have space left over.

> I'm sure that graphical and audio designers are far more productive
with
> modern computers than with those of 12 years ago. Gamers are
probably
> over-joyed at hardware developments, too. However, for the average
user
> of an office suite, I doubt that modern computers offer much that
was
> not available in the late Eighties. Yet, during that time, the
average
> computer user has probably upgraded 4-6 times, largely out of fear
of
> being left behind.

Again, you're right. There isn't a whole lot that I'm doing with Word
2000 that I couldn't do with Lotus AmiPro 3.0 back in 1993. (Funny
thing, too, AmiPro can do some things I now have to use Word for
better than Word does. For example, for some reason mail merges in
AmiPro always seemed a bit more intuitive than Word.) Of courses,
with clients wanting deliverables in current formats, like Word 97 /
2000, I have to have the more modern software.

I've managed to avoid upgrading to Windows 98 and Windows ME (though
not having Windows NT almost cost me a contract last year). However,
I expect I will upgrade my machine once Windows XP hits store
shelves--and for the reason you point out--not wanting to be left
behind.

--

John Fleming
Technical Writer