Re: RE: New tech writer employment tips?

Subject: Re: RE: New tech writer employment tips?
From: "Scott Holstad" <SHolstad -at- ci -dot- knoxville -dot- tn -dot- us>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 11:33:24 -0400

I got into the business through standard publishing. I have years of experience editing in the book, newspaper, and magazine industries.

At some point, I decided I wanted to work in the technology field, and felt that tech writer was the way to go. As I had no tech writing experience, I approached some small companies - non-profit organizations, that type of thing - and asked if they needed any documentation, explaining I'd do it for free, as long as I got to keep copies. Well, I did basic end user guides for a SCO UNIX system, and a couple of Internet application user guides. These helped me land a job as a tech editor/tech writer at a growing company.

Interestingly, after six years and four companies in the tech writing business, the ONLY tool I've used is Word. I've recommended Frame and others, but have been shot down each time. Being unfamiliar with Frame and Robo has not impeded my ability to get work, but I feel increasingly frustrated at not knowing these tools; I feel as though I will need them in the future. Well, I've rambled on enough. Have a good day everyone!

Scott