A tech writer become famous

Subject: A tech writer become famous
From: "Chuck Martin" <twriter -at- sonic -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 17:26:37 -0700

I don't know if she's on this list (and if she is, she's probably been too
busy these days to read it). but I saw this article
(http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/04/29/LV
197017.DTL) in Sunday's newspaper about her. Titled "Tech writer gians fame
with memoir of how her contest-winning mother saved the family," the article
details the fame and fortune reached by this previously modest tech writer,
the appearances on television, the Oprah recognition, and more. And the book
will maybe soon be a film in a theater near you.

For the tech writers who toil in obscurity, fame can be had. Here's a story
of how one person did it, and it's a delightful story. Congratulations.

"I don't entirely understand it but it is true: Highly skilled
carpenters don't get insulted when told they are not architects,
but highly skilled programmers do get insulted when told
they are not UI designers."
- anonymous programmer quoted in "GUI Bloopers"

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com