Re: PDFMaker alternatives

Subject: Re: PDFMaker alternatives
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 16:37:56 -0700

Jennifer O Neill wrote:

> I recently asked if anyone had ideas on why I couldn't get PDFMaker to work
> on my computer. I have lots of manuals that I need to make into pdfs and
> don't fancy making all those TOC, page references et al links within the
> docs manually. Several people answered me with lots of advice. Unfortunately
> none worked. However, eventually the IT dept. found the problem: you can't
> use PDFMaker unless you're logged on as an administrator (which I'm not at
> work). As there's no chance of my being given this right, what plug-ins do
> you recommend for Acrobat to automatically create links in pdfs? I've heard
> a program by Virginia Systems. Any others? Thanks.

Adobe tech support told me that PDFMaker is not supported on NT, and indeed we couldn't get it to run at all (works great on 98).

As for links, PDFMaker will do that automatically, as long as they're links in Word. Index entries aren't links in the Word doc, so they're not links in the PDF.

That's why Virginia Systems created Sonar Bookends Activate. The version we bought links page numbers in the index entries to the corresponding pages in the body of the book. The blurb on their web site (http://www.virginiasystems.com/products_b.html) says:

"Sonar Bookends Activate is an automatic hypertext-link generator for
Adobe® Acrobat®. Page numbers in both an index and a table of contents
of a PDF file can be hyperlinked to their respective pages in seconds.
URLs and e-mail addresses can be linked also, so that clicking on them
launches either a web page or an e-mail dialog box, respectively.
References, such as "Refer to Figure 6" can be linked to the page
where that figure appears! This is an invaluable tool for electronic
book publishing.

"A free demo of this product is available. "

I'm not familiar with the new capabilities, but I love the index linking.

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!