RE: tool nonsense (gearing up to be a tech writer)

Subject: RE: tool nonsense (gearing up to be a tech writer)
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 17:00:42 -0400

:: I don't think so. I have hired many writers at an entry
:: level. They all
:: had FrameMaker experience. Certain schools, such as
:: Michigan Tech, provide
:: excellent undergrads by insisting on technical training,
:: writing rhetoric,
:: and access to current tools. You may have to pay a bit more
:: for entry level
:: writers with solid educational backgrounds, but you still don't pay
:: intermediate or senior writer wages.

Interesting. Where were you when I entered the working world? ;) We didn't
learn Frame in school, but then again we didn't focus on tools as they are,
well, only tools. Granted now I make a living based heavily on my tools
skills...

I dunno. I guess I don't expect a college grad with only scholastic Frame
experience to be able to create templates and work with Master and Reference
pages... at least not in a manner that maximizes automation once it's time
to sit down and write. Some skills rely on more than just one developmental
factor. They may have tools experience from school, but how does that
translate to the tech writing market and day-to-day processes? You'd be
surprised how much our environments influence how software is used. Then
again, maybe not... after all, that's the main reason why most of us are
employed. :)

BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N