RE: tool nonsense (gearing up to be a tech writer)

Subject: RE: tool nonsense (gearing up to be a tech writer)
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 13:08:59 -0600

> "Any company looking for an entry-level writer with specific experience,
> whether tool or industry, is either delusional or
> cheap."
>

> And usually gets what it pays for...

I don't think so. I have hired many writers at an entry level. They all
had FrameMaker experience. Certain schools, such as Michigan Tech, provide
excellent undergrads by insisting on technical training, writing rhetoric,
and access to current tools. You may have to pay a bit more for entry level
writers with solid educational backgrounds, but you still don't pay
intermediate or senior writer wages.

Companies get what they look for if they are willing to search (and don't
let HR departments do their searching :-)

Walden