RE: When you need to restructure

Subject: RE: When you need to restructure
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 11:13:49 +0100

Yesterday I asked:
>What do other people do when a project's documentation needs a complete
>rework? How avoid treading on people's toes?

Thanks to everyone who responded.

The writer of the current documentation set is a developer, not a technical
writer, and was very happy to be shut of the job and pass ownership over to
me. I had a very productive meeting with him this morning, during which we
went through my new outlines and worked out some brand new structure. I took
the advice of many of you and was extremely positive about what was there,
making the case that what was wanted was *more*, based on the current sound
foundations, and added (what I believe is true) that in many ways an expert
is not the best person to write documentation, since there is so much that
the expert will take for granted.

It went well.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.