Re: Is IT growth slowing?

Subject: Re: Is IT growth slowing?
From: "Lurker writer" <lurker_writer -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:18:27 -0500

Hello All:

I'm not sure IT is to blame 100 percent. The IT industry has devoted more than a decade trying to develop a valuation model that shows IT as a revenue-generating operation rather than an overheard operation. (Yes, 10 years ago, asking what your IT ROI is would have brought a chuckle to many management execs). Depending on your flavor of voodoo accounting, IT revenue generation could just be a euphemism for "cost avoidance" but it nonetheless has received special dispensation across corporate America (there are industries outside of computer software and hardware) as a bottom-line contributing function.

Too many people place too much trust in IT to be the magic bullet. Knowledge management (KM), eBusiness (B2B), customer resource management (CRM), eCommerce (B2C) all claim that IT is the facilitator of these disciplines, not the core of them. But half-baked business plans and faulty business models are more the culprit in many instances than IT.

Take CRM for example..one of the buzzwords du jour. CRM is supposed to wonders for market penetration and solidify customer loyalty, but may require a complete business process re-engineering. The technology requires coordination across multiple communication channels that have to be integrated with back-office and e-commerce apps. That alone is quite a load for IT. Companies now are struggling with the realities of CRM that the hype never mentioned...particularly extensive technology requirements.

But I think the IT hiccup is also partly just a reflection of the speedbump the economy took over the past few months (and certainly the next few as the rear axle clears it). Yes, I'm disheartened to see the hit my portfolio took, but am encouraged that the B2C and to a lesser degree the B2B shakeouts are returning the markets to more realistic and less inflated levels.

According to the Information Technology Association of America (ITAA) 2001 Workforce Report (released in early April), there's a 44% decline in demand for IT workers from 2000 to 2001, but of the 900,000 IT jobs available in 2001, only 425,000 will be filled (leaving 475,000 unfilled).

While it is dangerous to prognosticate, I don't think there's much cause for concern across IT. If you're having a problem getting the support you need from your IT department, well, that's a local issue that can't be extrapolated across the industry with any degree of reliability. Take away your IT backbone and see how well you can complete.

As bad as it may seem, just think how much worse it would be "in the good old days..."

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com