Re: Dead horse whinnies again (was RE: certification)

Subject: Re: Dead horse whinnies again (was RE: certification)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:55:30 -0300

KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com wrote:

> Now, if there were TWO or MORE certifying bodies, in
> competition, and neither of them had a government mandate,
> then I would have some confidence in one, the other, or
> both organizations and the people they certify.
> The first one to go over to the dark side would be the
> first one to lose my confidence.

The only trouble is, in order to gain an edge over the other, each body
would be constantly tempted to water down its standards in order to have
more people certified by it.

Eventually, both would probably be in collusion to set the standards,
and the resulting oligarchy would be virtually identical to a monopoly.

> Competition is healthy. Monopoly and State mandate is actively
> unhealthy. Go forth and multiply... certifiably.

Competition is wasteful, works against common standards, and ends in
monopoly.

Officially sanctioned monopoly is wasteful, bureaucratic, and works
against innovation.

Which is better seems to depend on the situation or which evil you think
is the lesser.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"And if you had some spirit then it wouldn't be so bad,
It's your awesome anonymity which makes me get so mad."
- Attila the Stockbroker, "Vegetables"

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.