Re: Transitioning from the military to tech writing?

Subject: Re: Transitioning from the military to tech writing?
From: "bwolf" <bwolf -at- scheidt-bachmann-usa -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:14:40 -0400

<<Geoff Hart sent Tracy Gies a wonderful response.>>

I won't quibble with anything Geoff said.

However, having myself transitioned to technical writing from a writing
position as a civilian with the military, I'd like to suggest that no matter
how many lines you have on your resume, if anyone involved in the hiring
process (HR filter, hiring manager, writing team members) doesn't understand
how those lines apply to the open position, you won't get the job. Sounds
like a truism, I know, but transitioning isn't easy.

<<When you write a cover letter to introduce your resume, you should always
explain the relevance of the bullet points on the resume. From what you've
listed, it sounds like you've got most of the basic writing and planning
skills required for a technical writing career, and now all you need to do
is explain how all these skills come together to make you employable as a
someone enough to at least get an interview, and the rest is up to you.>>
IMHO, this is superb advice.

BTW, Geoff, I'm willing to bet Tracy has small arms training but doesn't
carry a weapon. ;-)

BW

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.