RE: Documentation Review Strategies?

Subject: RE: Documentation Review Strategies?
From: Steve Shepard <STEVES -at- YARDI -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:10:44 -0700

> Megan Golding writes:

> What strategies do you employ in getting real review and
> feedback on your
> documents?
>
> What can a writer do to foster high quality review after
> writing a document
> and sending it out to reviewers? I seem to get mired in the
> waiting for
> feedback stage. I know my reviewers have the best of intentions, but
> (frankly) my docs aren't their primary job responsibility.

Here is what we are trying and it seems to be working so far. We put
together a doc plan up that simply states the basic parameters of the doc, a
timeline, and list of the principles involved, which includes those that
would both provide information and review the docs. Each principle must sign
off on the doc plan. They are told up front that they are going to be given
credit in the manual for technical review. When it comes time for review,
they are given a sign off sheet with the appropriate section. The docs don't
go to print until everyone has signed off. And no one wants to have to
explain to their boss why they are the reason the docs are not on schedule.

It has been amazing how much buy-in there has been when people know their
name is going to be on the final docs.

Steven Shepard
Manager, Documentation Group
Yardi Systems, Inc.