PDF format question

Subject: PDF format question
From: susie -dot- fisher -at- bankofamerica -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:47:39 -0500

whirlers:

I need a few opinions on PDF files. Should a PDF be nothing more than a
printable version of the hard-copy manual? Should it contain a table of
contents and page numbers so that the user can print it out and have a
hard-copy? If it should contain page numbers, should those page numbers be
formatted as if the document was two-sided (odd pages right, etc.). I doubt
most people who print it out will bother with two-sided.

My questions come about because I've been having so many problems with Adobe
inserting blank pages when I produce a PDF from Word. I think the section
breaks I need to insert to have the right and left numbering scheme are
causing the problem. (I've tried the Shrink to Fit solution that Adobe
offers, but to no avail.) I feel like chucking the whole TOC and section
break deal in the hope that it will solve the problem. For some of my
applications, the PDF is the only help file at the moment.

Any opinions? Thanks.

Susie Fisher
Technical Writer
Bank of America
susie -dot- fisher -at- bankofamerica -dot- com

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.