Re: Gender Issues in Technical Communication

Subject: Re: Gender Issues in Technical Communication
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 08:42:56 -0700

My own experience is that geekdom is better than the rest of the world.
After you prove yourself a competent and technical person, there is little
to no discrimination/sexism, at least from the geeks.

However, I have seen non-technical or non-competent writers (and manager and
others) eaten alive by the geeks. Like a feeding frenzy. It happens
regardless of the sex of the non-technical person. Unfortunately, I have
been guilty of this behavior as well. Not something I like when I see myself
doing it, but I am also a geek. It is part of our culture to dislike people
who are not what they represent themselves to be. Geeks hate being misled -
it feels like lying and in my experience, we geeks do not tolerate that from
anyone.

Need to wake up. More coffee.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org