RE: API/javadoc - classes/methods that should not be public

Subject: RE: API/javadoc - classes/methods that should not be public
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:15:40 -0600

I vote for completeness.

If they really aren't supposed to be used, create (or pressure the owning
engineering to create) a Javadoc comment in the code that says precisely
that. "For internal use only," "Don't use this directly," "Use at your own
risk," or whatever else is applicable.

Then, even if it is exposed from exploring the API, your audience will be
happy (a) that your documentation was complete, and (b) that they were
warned about what not to use.

I don't recommend removing things by hand (your option 2), because you'll
have to do that each time Javadoc runs. And you get the broken links.

My suggestion is a version of your option 1. Where it is different in that
there is no garbage, just things that the user sees but isn't supposed to
use.

When I documented API's at a previous company, if we couldn't exclude things
because they were private, our documentation explicitly told our audience
not to use it and what to use instead.

BTW, I'm using Doxygen at my present company. I'm using the JavaDoc style. I
understand that the latest version of Doxygen supports Java. (Doxygen is
shareware.) The reason I bring this up is that Doxygen has a few more
commands than JavaDoc. One in particular is "@internal" which can be used to
hide things.

HTH,

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.