RE: NEED HELP..PLEASE RESPOND

Subject: RE: NEED HELP..PLEASE RESPOND
From: "Sella Rush" <sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:58:08 -0700

Take a look at the company you work for. Is it small? Does it have a lot
of support staff? Or does everyone pitch in when needed? This kind of
atmosphere can be a huge shock for people used to a big corporation
environment. Or are you the only one being asked to adjust?

Re the lack of work. This is pretty common. I once had a manager who
worked like a fiend to find work for us when the company (not software dev)
lost a big contract. We did phone relief, helped with filing, deliveries,
data entry, etc. to justify keeping us on until things picked up. Since we
were considered support anyway, it wasn't that big of a step. So you have
to decide what you're willing to do. It helps a lot if others are being
asked to sacrifice.

Two things:

1) Be sure there's an explicit "exit strategy" in place when business picks
up. When you've got a two week deadline, who's going to do those daily
reports? You need to make sure your manager and others keep the priorities
straight.

2) Look around for tech writing projects that might contribute to the bottom
line. And get creative--don't just wait for someone to hand you a project.
In one of my past jobs, we started working on making our publications
department a profit center, marketing ourselves outside the company. The
company, of course, got the profit and we got ourselves out from under the
stigma of "support". If it's just you, what about becoming a specialized
trainer that the company could hire you out as? You become a "certified"
Framemaker trainer or Cold Fusion developer, and the company pockets the
profit? Another possibility: what about developing a training program or
class that could earn revenue for the company? Or an online course?

BTW--my tiny new company also started out dumping our own trash, although
most of the time we conned the high-school interns into doing it. We also
recycle our own cans, and you'll often see our COO with an electric
screwdriver putting up a coat rack or measuring for a new cabinet. When we
moved to a new office, I took on the job of working up some office space
plans in Visio because no one else thought to do it. Such is life in a
small business. I love it.

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.