RE: Alienation

Subject: RE: Alienation
From: "Michael Collier" <mcollier -at- arlut -dot- utexas -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:57:09 -0500

> Our users do tasks and jobs that we find boring, banal and
> insignificant.

If it were fun it wouldn't be called work, now would it?

> Our users use technologies that are lower tech (less powerful,
> less varied, less interesting) than the technologies that we
> use to produce the documentation.
> The challenge of keeping up with our users' technology is
> less than the challenge of doing a moderate crossword puzzle
> a day.

There's plenty of complex technology out there being documented, or in need
of documentation.

> We are alienated from the content of our work (and can
> muster no passion for that content), so we compensate by
> becoming passionate about the formats, the processes and the
> technologies that we use to produce the documentation.

Your passion is misplaced. Find things that interest you more, or get
excited about helping your users learn something.

> We focus on our own technology not because we are lazy and
> afraid of the complexity of our users' technology but because
> our own technology is so much more complex than our users'
> technology and, therefore, it provides the greater mental
> stimulus.

Good thing you're not stuck using a typewriter :-) - actually you might find
more stimulation working for someplace like Adobe, or a document management
company where the domain and tools are more in synch.

> What do you think of that diagnosis? What's the prognosis?
> What's the prescription?

Hopefully I've offered some of that interspersed. Generally speaking,
though, what you are experiencing does not have to be your reality.

Michael Collier, Technical Writer Office: N546
Information Systems Laboratory http://isl.arlut.utexas.edu/
Applied Research Laboratories: The University of Texas at Austin
Voice: 512-835-3408 e-mail: mcollier -at- arlut -dot- utexas -dot- edu

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.