Re: Voice-activated software

Subject: Re: Voice-activated software
From: "Robert Sidman" <scribe1016 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:18:42 -0400

I can only speak, literally and figuratively, to part of this thread. More
than three years ago I suffered a stroke which left me without the use of my
left arm. There has never been big market for one-handed writers!

I now use Dragon Preferred NaturallySpeaking 5.0. I used an earlier version
and I also tried IBM Via Voice.

In a nutshell, stick with Dragon; IBM is a cheap, miserable product, IMHO.

Make sure your PC/laptop has a Pentium III CPU at 600-650 mhz or faster. If
you can fit in 256MB of RAM so much the better. Get a top-flight plug-in
microphone and never rely on the cheap built-in microphone of a lap top.

My software usage is basically confined to the MS Office Pro (work/personal)
and Quicken books (personal). With a trackball mouse and my good right arm
I can do most of the editing manually, re-dictating where necessary.

The major concession I have made because of my stroke-impaired vision is
that when I am in Word I use the 14- or 16-point Arial for writing. After
editing I shrink the finished copy to 11-point Courier New.

Bob Sidman
scribe1016 -at- home -dot- com