RE: RE: Seeking advice on English MA

Subject: RE: RE: Seeking advice on English MA
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:10:41 -0500

No offence taken here, Scott. I just ask that you and other employers quit
looking at my resume and rejecting me flatly BECAUSE I am ex-military,
totally disregarding the ten years of experience I have gained SINCE.

Charles T. Rich

I have often wondered why experience as a primary staff officer in a major military formation (that is, brigade, and division) is not sought out by companies, since the training and experience directly relates to mid-level and senior level management positions in civilian companies.

After watching various senior level management types move in and out of positions with their only training qualification being that they were engineers, or salesmen, or marketing, I wondered why there were so many failures. I found it in a discussion of these things by Tom Peters. The higher a person moves in any organization, the less important their original training becomes, and the more important becomes their organizational, leadership, and planning abilities.

Even at lower levels, that type of experience is invaluable, whether you are the sole tech writer, or one on a team.

The real crux of the matter is in what you can do. If you cannot write, cannot adapt to changing situations, you are not qualified to be a tech writer. Today, we are challenged to find and use new methods of delivery, while maintaining a high level of quality in our work.

Scott

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com