RE: Big Brother is watching?

Subject: RE: Big Brother is watching?
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:13:31 -0400

Michael Oboryshko [mailto:obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com] said:
[snip]
>In the end though, just make sure your business emails
>and surfing are beyond reproach. One day this problem
>will be solved when we all have fast cheap personal
>wireless access. Remember when employees used to be
>concerned about bosses listening to their phone calls?
>Cell phones fixed that problem.

Ahh, but if certain people have their way, it will soon
be common for proprietors (among others) to have cellphone
jamming equipment operating, to prevent people using
cellphones on their premises.

ALREADY PROPOSED
It starts with supposedly legit applications like
hospitals, where they claim their equipment is adversely
affected by cell-phone frequencies. It goes on to
theatres (movie and live), where a boor and his cellphone
can rob paying customers of their enjoyment. Then, it
will appear in restaurants for the same reasons.

FEARLESS PREDICTIONS
Chances are less-than-zero that employers of the "big
brother" sort will not buy in, when the tech becomes
cost-effective for them.

Shortly after that, malls and public venues will suppress
direct cellular connections when it becomes possible for
them to intercept calls/handshaking and sell a "bridging"
service to people on their premises. It'll be sorta like
the in-flight telephones provided by some airlines, but
you'll be able to use your own phone. "If you would like
to receive and send cellphone calls while on the premises,
please visit one of our convenient kiosks to register your
phone with the 'house' system. Reduced fees for doctors
and firefighters. Premium payable for unemployed technical
writers and for news reporters. Outgoing 911 calls are passed
without hindrance or fee."

I've been wrong before...

But, if I'm right, I want to document it... and get paid
big bucks to do so... as a contractor, so I'm not
caught in the flood of lawsuits... :-)

/kevin

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.